Hair, skin and nails
We all want to look our best, and knowing all about the ways we can keep our skin glowing and our hair looking radiant makes it a lot easier!
Maintaining healthy hair, supple skin and strong nails
Did you know that there are lifestyle and diet changes that you can make that may help keep your hair healthy, your skin looking youthful and your nails strong?1-5
The benefits of healthy eating on your body are already widely known. There are certain foods that can affect how your skin, nails and hair look and age.4,5 There are also certain behaviours that you can incorporate into your everyday routine that will help keep you looking your best.1-3
Your Beauty Wellness Regimen
What to put inside for a healthier outside
Look after your outside with oily fish
Getting omega-3 fatty acids from oily fish may help to prevent dry skin6
Green and yellow vegetables
In a Japanese population of women, it was found that a higher intake of green and yellow vegetables may be associated with decreased facial wrinkling5
Support your hair and nails with biotin
Biotin is a vitamin that can support your hair and nail health. Eggs and meat are a great source of this, so eating such dishes can help contribute to the health of your nails and hair7
Healthy fats for supple skin
Adding more healthy fats to you diet may help leave your skin feeling more elastic5
Lifestyle tips for strong skin, hair and nails
Keep time in the sunshine short
Extended exposure to the sun can speed up the ageing process of your skin – keep out of the sun when you can and regularly wear sunscreen and a hat to protect your skin when outside2
Nurture your nails
Taking care of your nails is important to keeping them healthy – dermatologists recommend keeping them clean and dry, trimming them regularly by cutting them straight across using sharp nail scissors and keeping them nicely shaped by filing them3
Use conditioner on your hair after every shampoo
Regularly using conditioner can really improve the look of damaged or weathered hair by increasing its strength and making it shinier8
Regularly moisturising will keep your skin hydrated and feeling fresh – dry skin is more likely to show wrinkles, so treat your skin well and give it the nourishment it needs2
Did you know that there are lifestyle and diet changes that you can make that may help keep your hair healthy, your skin looking youthful and your nails strong?3-7
Do you want to get to the end of the day and still have a spring in your step? Enjoy more activity in your everyday by changing a few of your daily habits.
1. Health Direct. Skin. Available at: https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/skin [Accessed October 2020].
2. Better Health Channel – Victoria State Government. Healthy ageing – the skin. Available at: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/healthy-ageing-the-skin [Accessed October 2020].
3. American Academy of Dermatology. Tips for Healthy Nails. Available at: https://www.aad.org/public/everyday-care/nail-care-secrets/basics/healthy-nail-tips [Accessed October 2020].
4. Kiefer D & Pantuso T. Agro Food Ind Hi Tech 2012;23(4):10-13.
5. Nagata C et al. Br J Nutr 2010;103(10):1493-8.
6. Huang TH et al. Mar Drugs 2018;16:256.
7. National Institutes of Health. Biotin. Available at: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Biotin-HealthProfessional/ [Accessed October 2020].
8. American Academy of Dermatology. Tips for Healthy Hair. Available at: https://www.aad.org/public/everyday-care/hair-scalp-care/hair/healthy-hair-tips [Accessed October 2020].